Saturday, October 25, 2008

The top secret culinary project revealed!

Anyone remember at the end of this post that I made mention of working on a new BIG culinary project? Well I am happy to say that after a couple trips to Whole foods, an Internet special order, and a random grocery store trip...it's done.


Are you on the edge of your seat?





Well, without further delay...my latest creation.....

















Say Cheese!!!!! I present to you my first HOMEMADE fresh mozzarella ball!!!! Ok, so maybe if you aren't a foodie you aren't too excited about this, but how many people do you know that make their own cheese!?!

It actually wasn't too difficult...Nathan and I just followed the these instructions....making a few modifications on how we strained off the whey. I expected to mess up on the first batch since there are so many temperature and time specifics and we were just trying to figure it all out, but the first batch came out awesome!

Not only does it taste really good...it was fun to make and it only cost about $3 to make 1 pound. Lower quality fresh mozzarella costs twice this amount, and the higher quality can be closer to $8 to $10 a pound!

Now all I want to do is make more....so any volunteers to take some fresh mozzarella cheese off of my hands? I bet we could work out some kind of trade. ;)

6 comments:

Maria said...

That is just awesome Teresa! Your skills cease to amaze me. :-)

Jen said...

I would SO be willing to volunteer :) Very impressive!

Amanda, Mandy, Manda, Tomato said...

WOW! I am totally impressed!

Mary said...

I'm superlate to this, but once again, Teresa makes amazing creations in the kitchen! It looks yummy.

Jamie said...

VERY impressive, indeed. And very yummy too, based on the pizza! You are unreal.

The Pink Cupcake said...

Wow that looks really yummy! I never would have thought of making my own cheese. I bet pizza would be amazing.