Monday, January 12, 2009

I hope I pass

I feel like I am 16 again. I have to go take a driver's test and get a different kind of license for work. It's a Class E in case you were wondering.

It's only a written exam, but I am still nervous. Teresa does not have the best driving exam record.

Let's go back about 10 years shall we?

I am almost 17 I and hated driving. HATED it. But I was Ms. Superinvolved with tons of extra curriculars and living about 20 minutes from school, so driving was essential.

I took my first driving test and failed...I really wasn't ready. On the second time around I was nervous. EXTREMELY nervous. I was doing ok, and then we got to the parallel parking part. The part every 16 year old fears.

I go a car length ahead, put the car in reverse, turn my head and put my foot down....hard. As in wayyy too hard. The back end of my car ramps the sidewalk and hits the chain link fence that is on the other side of the sidewalk. So yeah, I had a wheel or two in the air.

I am in total shock, not believing what happens. I think back now and wonder what that examiner was thinking and how he didn't lose it on me. He pretty calmly tells me to pull forward and park, because he has to go inside and make sure the people whose fence I hit don't want to press charges. I sit there thinking......."!?!?!?!?"

Needless to say I failed, and became traumatized for the rest of teen years, even after I passed my third time. I still am not a big fan of driving, but deal with it.

Funniest part of the story? I drove by that house one of the last times I visited my parents. The fence is still up, big bend and all.

Go ahead and lol @ me today, I give you permission.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine. Lots of us had *cough* difficulties *cough* with the driving portion as teens :)

LucyinStLou said...

No laughing here! It took me 2 attempts to pass too. (I thought I was the only one!)

sarah said...

At least it IS only the written part. I have faith, you'll do fine.

According to my driving test guy the first time (Mr. Mumbler in St. Charles), I "almost caused a traffic accident." DID NOT...failed anyway. I passed with the lowest possible score on my second attempt (I did manage to get the parallel parking cones lined up at the exact midline of my '85 Buick LeSabre...not where they were supposed to be, but I was proud), resulting in the instructor telling my mom that perhaps I needed more supervised practice before being let loose on public roads. Jerks.

YOU CAN DO IT! :)

Trisha said...

Thank you for the permission to laugh. I wasn't laughing AT you, I was laughing with you. (hopefully) haha I wasn't laughing at the part that you were scared to drive though, I was in the same boat!!!

Talk about a scared/terrified teen; I hid my permit from my parents so that they wouldn't make me drive/practice!! I let them know I had it the day before I was supposed to start behind the wheel (class) with the teacher. I had NEVER drove before, so we had to go out right then and there and practice. I still hate driving to this day!

BEST OF LUCK to you!!!

Stephanie said...

It is very important that after you finish the test [with flying colors of course] you go buy yourself something pretty to wear while driving.

It always makes me feel better to know there is a reward at the end.