Monday, June 30, 2008

The Sunday Brunchers

Nathan and I have started a new tradition. Any Sunday we have free we go out to brunch. We are usually running errands on Sunday mornings and afternoons so it was a really easy tradition to start. It is an absolutely great idea for several reasons:

1. All the places we have been are very relaxed and it really sets me in a good mood for the start of the week.

2. It is soooo cheap. We spend $20-$28 on big meal at brunch while if we go out to dinner on a Saturday night we easily spend $40-$50 and sometimes more depending on the alcohol consumed.

3. It is allowing me to secretly get Nathan to eat a lot of places he wouldn't normally try. Unfortunately, Nathan is a creature of habit and grew up on chains so that is what he is most comfortable eating in. Don't get me wrong, we have still hit up Dennys and IHOP on Sunday, but I slowly transitioned him to First Watch, which is still a chain, but not a what I consider a typical chain. They have some obscure menu items that make it kind of unique.

So now I am going to start slowly slipping in more independently owned restaurants. This past Sunday we went to Bottleworks which has quickly become one of my favorite restaurants. Their brunch definitely didn't disappoint. I ordered the Huevos Rancheros, one of my all time favorite dishes and it was HUGE and delicious. Nathan had the Sticky Toffee French Toast which was of course sooo yummy.

My next plan is to go to Square One Brewery in Lafayette Square. I told Nathan that now I am bound and determined to find out who in the city has the best Huevos Rancheros. So if anyone has any recommendations for good brunch places, pass them along! Bonus points if they serve HR's.

9 comments:

Mary said...

Rooster downtown! My sister got Jason a gift certificate for his birthday last year and we just used it on our anniversary. It's crepes and it soooo yummy. They serve delicious AM cocktails too, which is always a bonus.

Jen said...

Ditto Mary about Rooster - YUM :) If you want something a little more diner-like, there's City Diner on South Grand, or Mr. P's and my personal favorite breakfast/brunch place is the Boardwalk Cafe in Webster (Big Bend @ Lockwood)

Kara said...

Brunch is never bad! Hi! Found your blog by randomness!

Jamie said...

Don't forget Schneithorst's on Lindbergh! Sort of a blue-hair place, but their breakfast is SO good.

Anonymous said...

I love brunch - and First Watch is awesome! You need to get on saucemagazine.com and search for places that serve brunch - I'm sure you'll find a TON of options.

Teresa said...

Kristal,

Yeah, thats the problem, there are wayyyy too many options on Sauce. Although with their list we are set for every Sunday for about two years.

Maria said...

Chris' pancake house is also yummy.

Scazar said...

See Teresa, the problem with sunday brunch is that it would require me to be up and ready to leave my apartment by 11 or so on a sunday morning, and I don't really see that happening.

It does sound like a cool idea though.

emma o said...

rooster IS awesome, as is nadoz cafe (in the coronado by slu). nadoz has a huge buffet that is taaaaasty and really pretty.