Monday, March 16, 2009

Frustration

Most of the time I use the gym to work out frustration, but for the past week the gym has not been helping me with my bad mood mentioned in the last post. In fact I think it has actually made my mood worse.

As some of you know, I started week 3 of Couch to 5k. Up until week 3 I was really enjoying the program and actually looked forward to starting a new week. Well, not anymore. I flat out failed at week 3. Failed! I could barely run for 2 minutes let alone do two 3 minute runs! I was so down on myself I almost lost it at the gym. I am sure my work frustration didn't help, but I could not just wrap my head around why week 3 was so difficult. week 2 was a walk in the park compared to week 3. That was just under a week ago. The last few gym visits I have been doing what would probably be considered week 2.5 if there was one.

Now I'm not looking for anyone to feel sorry for me, really I am not. But I am firm believer that it is important that people ask for help and not shy away from it because of embarrassment. So, I need help. I don't want to quit. Let me say that again....I don't want to quit. But I am incredibly frustrated. At this rate the 9 week Couch to 5k will take me 4 months.

Any words of wisdom or encouragement would be appreciated. Like I said, I don't want anyone to think I want pity, but I think without support my frustration is just going to elevate and get worse.

11 comments:

Angie said...

You can do it!!!! I have no clue what a couch to 5k entails, but I know you can do it. It may just be tough right now but no pain no gain, right?
You are so inspiring to me, that you are even undertaking this. It will be a huge accomplishment when you are done. And I know you will complete it!

LC said...

Is there a 5K that you are wanting to run in 9 weeks? If not, take your time! I can't imagine really going "from the couch" to running a 5K. I know that I wouldn't be able to do that. Especially the difficult jump from week 2 to week 3. Do week 2 for another couple of weeks until you want to try week 3 again. Don't give up...you can do it!

Jen said...

Everyone is allowed to have a setback, even you! I have complete faith that you'll be able to get over this hurdle - and it's OK if it takes you more time to reach those goals than you planned. Keep it up! We're all human :)

Julia Goolia said...

Keep your head up, T. There are days that your body just needs to rest, especially if you are overly stressed from work. I know it's easier said than done but you have to listen to your body and take a day or two off from the gym. Don't let your brain get the best of you and say that you need to give up...you don't! You just need to take a breather and then start back up again when you are ready.

Don't give up. It will be worth it, I promise. And when you complete the 5k you will barely remember this little funk:)

Ali said...

You Can Do It!!! You've been working yourself to the bone at the gym and your job and sometimes your body just doesn't want to do it anymore. Make sure you take enough time to rest and just repeat week two and then try week three again next week. It will take time, but you will get there and we will all be so proud of you when you run your 5k!

sarah said...

I agree that you just need to go at your own pace. If I had stuck with my plan to do the program (see, you're already light years ahead of me!), I guarantee you that I'd hit a plateau as well. I think working at a 2.5 level is fine. When that's easy, go to three. If you can't jump from 3 to 4, add another .5 in there! No shame - the fact that you haven't given up says volumes about you.

Mary said...

You have had A LOT going on these last few weeks and your body is probably just exhausted. Do not quit because you absolutely can do it. Everyone has setbacks and running sucks, let's be honest. Go slower if you need to, but don't give up!

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna actually disagree with a lot of the advice...and so DON'T repeat any of the weeks unless they are really hard on you. I think you are doing the right thing by doing 1/2 weeks when needed, but I wouldn't repeat weeks that were easy for you (like Week 2 was). Just push yourself to do more than the last week, but maybe not as much as the next week. And I promise, if you can get through running 90 second intervals for 27 minutes, you'll be able to run 2 3 minute intervals next week!

Jenn said...

I agree with Kristal. Don't repeat week 2 since it was easy for you...you need to keep pushing (but not killing) yourself. Keep your chin up lady...take a day off and then try it again. You can totally do this!!!

Maria said...

I agree with what Mary said. Everyone definitely has setbacks. Maybe take a day off and then try it again. You can do it!!

Claire Uncorked said...

Ok, I have no real advice since I haven't even seen this plan...but I know you can do it. Believe it or not, this fat girl used to run a lot, & some days were just better than others.